Take the opportunity to learn art techniques from our talented local artists. No experience required, but pre-registration required and early registration recommended (most of these sell out every year).
We also offer Performing Arts Workshops with IAMA, Utah Blues Society, and headliner Cimarrón (registration required) and Literary Arts Workshops at the Community Writing Center (no registration required).
Visual Arts Hands-On Workshops
Hands-On Workshop with Brent Hale
Thu, June 23, 1PM-3PM, Special Collections Room, 4th Floor, Main Library
Using professional clay that dries very hard (nonbaking), sculptor Brent Hale will teach you to create your own sculptures “that will intimidate your friends,” according to the artist!
Hands-On Workshop with Mary Wells
Fri, June 24, 1PM-3PM, Special Collections Room, 4th Floor, Main Library
Make a journal with Mary Wells using fine paper and bound in leather perfect for pen, paint and/or collage.
Workshop with Jane De Groff
Sat, June 25, 1PM-4PM, 4th Floor Conference Room, Main Library
Participants will learn shibori techniques and use a dye vat of natural indigo to create simple designs on a silk scarf and a cotton bandana.
Hands-On Workshop with Lisa Chin
Sat, June 25, 1PM-3PM, Special Collections Room, 4th Floor, Main Library
Artist Lisa Chin will teach you to use surface design techniques with fabric paint, stencils, stamps, and handwork to create your own set of prayer flags. Class is limited to 15 participants, age 18 and older.
Hands-On Workshop with Roz Newmark
Sun, June 26, 1PM-3PM, Special Collections Room, 4th Floor, Main Library
Roz Newmark – Life in Stillness Digital Photography
Join us during the Utah Arts Festival, when artists from Art at the Main will demonstrate their special art techniques. All demonstrations are free and will take place in the Urban Room of the Main Library.
- Thu, June 23, 11AM-1PM Caryn Feeney will show you how to create a painting full of depth and energy using only three pigments with pouring, blending and negative painting.
- Thu, June 23, 1PM-3PM Kids, it’s time to paint! This is an opportunity for kids of all ages to enjoy painting with Mary Pusey with tempera paints on watercolor paper, and purchase a mat, if desired, to complete the picture. Paint and paper supplied. Come and have fun with painting!
- Fri, June 24, 11AM-3PM Brent Hale ceramic sculptor, will demonstrate how he creates his dragons, elephants, monkeys and more from a lump of clay. His animal sculptures express how he sees and loves doing this, and the concepts that make sculpting so much fun.
- Sat, June 25, 11AM-1PM Sandy Williams will show what it takes to make a great still life painting. Sandy uses perspective to make objects sit in space, creating interesting and colorful still life compositions in oils.
- Sat, June 25, 1PM-3PM Bill Reed will create an acrylic abstract on large canvas while talking about his process. Bill considers these encounters to be performance pieces rather than just demonstrations.
- Sun, June 26, 11AM-1PM Mary Pusey will provide another opportunity for kids of all ages to enjoy painting with tempera paints on watercolor paper, Paint and paper supplied. Come and have fun with painting!
- Sun, June 26, 1PM-3PM Christine Kende will demonstrate of techniques in fused glass art, focusing on crushed and powdered glass painting. Make your own glass painting with alcohol inks on sandblasted glass for small fee.